Wrapped Up In Books

My musings on what I've read since January 2006.

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Monsieur Monde Vanishes - Georges Simenon

Monsieur Monde leaves his house in the morning and goes to work. Inexplicably, he then walks out of the office and disappears, choosing to head out alone to start a whole new life. Only it isn't really inexplicable. I suppose most people have had fantasies about leaving it all behind and starting afresh, probably pictured in moody black and white and soundtracked by There is a Light That Never Goes Out.

It's not an original theme, but Simenon writes brilliantly on the psychology of M.Monde in a way reminiscent of Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment. The similarity is apt, because the protagonist often feels like a criminal even though he has stolen nothing and hurt nobody. The ending is unexpected and strangely chilling.

The best book I've read this year? Maybe - I'll decide in early January.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home