Wrapped Up In Books

My musings on what I've read since January 2006.

Monday, September 11, 2006

Notes From Underground - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

I like Dostoyevsky a lot, but this one didn't quite have the same impact for me as The Brothers Karamazov or the amazingly amazing Crime and Punishment. Maybe it was a length issue - it felt too short - or perhaps it's my growing suspicion that guy couldn't do women.

There's still some great stuff here, and the opening is superb:

I am a sick man. ... I am a spiteful man. I am an unattractive man. I believe my liver is diseased. However, I know nothing at all about my disease, and do not know for certain what ails me. I don't consult a doctor for it, and never have, though I have a respect for medicine and doctors. Besides, I am extremely superstitious, sufficiently so to respect medicine,anyway (I am well-educated enough not to be superstitious, but I am superstitious). No, I refuse to consult a doctor from spite. That you probably will not understand. Well, I understand it, though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home