Wrapped Up In Books

My musings on what I've read since January 2006.

Saturday, September 23, 2006

The Last Party - Britpop, Blair and the Demise of English Rock by John Harris

I was hoping that this would be a good study of the Britpop/New Labour nexus but what we really get is a history of Britpop with a smattering of politics to further its appeal. The focus stays tightly on Suede, Blur, Elastica, Pulp and Oasis which was slightly frustrating too - I'm a big fan of Primal Scream, The Boo Radleys, My Bloody Valentine etc. For a wider overview I suggest My Magpie Eyes Are Hungry For The Prize - The Creation Records Story by David Cavanagh.

John Harris knows his stuff, though, and he's an engaging writer as I remember from the period he's talking about. The most revelatory new material here is the influence of heroin on the decline of Britpop. You'd think pop stars would have learned by now, wouldn't you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home