Wrapped Up In Books

My musings on what I've read since January 2006.

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Eucalyptus – Murray Bail

I enjoyed this odd fable about a man who will only allow his daughter to marry someone who can identify each of the hundreds of eucalypts on his large plantation. The Shakespearean aspects (The Tempest, the casket scene from Merchant) together the stories-within-stories reminiscent of the 1001 Nights or The Decameron provide a timeless feel, exacerbated by the isolated setting.

There is also a touch of Moby Dick in the scientific digressions, which I know some people found distracting. As in Melville's masterpiece, I found the essay style sections complemented the story well and added an extra layer of meaning.

2 Comments:

Blogger flexnib said...

No doubt it's weird of me, but I found myself enjoying the digressions more than the love story. I wanted more from the love story - either happily ever after, or Catherine-and-Heathcliff-esque tragedy...

And now, I should read Moby Dick, of course!

2:09 PM  
Blogger Tom Goodfellow said...

Everybody should read Moby Dick.

2:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home