Wrapped Up In Books

My musings on what I've read since January 2006.

Monday, January 01, 2007

Books Read In 2006 Is Dead. Long Live Books Read in 2007!

By eerie coincidence or, if you prefer, by sneaking in a couple of short ‘uns at the end, I have read exactly 100 books this year. That’s about 2 a week – not bad. So, by way of marking the occasion, here are my closing thoughts on the year’s reading:

Best Book. No, bugger it, best 12 books – Midnight’s Children, The Swimming-Pool Library, Little Dorrit, Right Ho Jeeves, The Grapes of Wrath, Jane Eyre, London Orbital, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell, Monsieur Monde Vanishes, Vile Bodies, A Room With A View, I Married A Communist

Worst Book – The Da Vinci Code

Longest Book – Little Dorrit

Shortest Book – Asterix the Gaul

Non-fiction percentage – 27 (or 29 if you include the Bible ones)

Books featuring Mormons as arch-villains – 3

Australian books – 4, all non-fiction, plus the last couple of Coetzee’s even though he’s a South African

Resolution for 2007 – Read more Aussie fiction

Cheers, thanks for reading. It’s been literary.

4 Comments:

Blogger Tom Goodfellow said...

One other figure; only 13 female authors, I think. Oh dear.

5:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,

I've only recently discovered your book blog and I find it really enjoyable to read. I think I'm going to read some Evelyn Waugh and E.M. Forster soon :)
Keep up the good work, and a happy 2007 book year!

Dorien from Belgium.

1:19 AM  
Blogger Tom Goodfellow said...

Thanks Dorien, I hope you enjoy Waugh and Forster. Happy reading to you too!

3:00 PM  
Blogger lisa_emily said...

I'm inspired to read the Virginia Woolf book after having read your comments! Good job- you put my book reading for 2006 to shame....

11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home