Wrapped Up In Books

My musings on what I've read since January 2006.

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Theft: A Love Story - Peter Carey

Apparently this is is regarded as largely autobiographical but that surprises me as the central character, a painter called Bones presumably acting as a version of Carey himself, is so profoundly unpleasant. As Bones narrates the majority of the story I found the experience to be somewhat hard going despite the thriller plot and the entertaining depiction of the Sydney and New York art scenes of the 1980s. I think the tone was meant to be bitterly funny but too often lapses into just plain bitter, as when Bones' ex-wife (based on Carey's ex-wife, allegedly) is referred to throughout as "the plaintiff".

Where Carey really excels, as in his superb Ned Kelly novel, is when he gives the narrative to a damaged character, in this case Bones' learning disabled brother. Although these sections are written in more difficult prose, I found them much more palatable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home