Wrapped Up In Books

My musings on what I've read since January 2006.

Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Deaf Sentence - David Lodge

I am a fan of Lodge from way back, so even though this book is far from perfect I enjoyed it very much. The problems are largely structural. A comic sequence set in Gladeworld (i.e. Centerparcs) and a much more serious passage in Auschwitz are peripheral to the story, burying the more compelling storyline about a disturbed student which just peters out. Lodge’s comic touch remains sure, though, and he works in some ideas about linguistics that are very interesting.

Apparently, my Mum’s circle of friends thought this was brilliant, I suspect that the older and deafer you are the funnier and more meaningful you will find the stuff about hearing loss, which is the central theme of the book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home