Wrapped Up In Books

My musings on what I've read since January 2006.

Sunday, November 26, 2006

Riders of the Purple Sage - Zane Grey

Years ago, I read a short fantasy story called Spiders of the Purple Mage - at the time I didn't get the pun on this, probably the best-known western novel by the best-known genre novelist. I decided that I'd read this in the spirit of trying anything once except incest and country dancing.

Sadly, the book is a bit of a trial. The plot is surprisingly complex, revolving around a woman's fight to free herself from evil Mormons, but for an adventure story it is very wordy and the character motivations are baffling. I understand that it's important to the history of western literature and films, but otherwise I wouldn't bother.

I liked this bit though:

Jane slipped her hands down to the swinging gun-sheaths, and when she had locked her hands around the huge, cold handles of the guns, she trembled with a chilling ripple all over her body.

Hmm...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home