Wrapped Up In Books

My musings on what I've read since January 2006.

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Deliverance – James Dickey

I’ve always considered the movie to be an overrated bit of superior schlock, so I didn’t expect much from this despite it being on a couple of major “best novel” lists. To my surprise the opening section works really well, introducing the characters and a range of themes that are only partially explored in the adaptation: masculinity, conservation, a very late-sixties take on sexuality.

The first, most famous set piece retains its shock factor, and I was surprised not to find the oft-quoted bit of dialogue from the screen version, the “squeal like a pig” bit.

After this, though, the tension begins to dissipate culminating in a very dull final 40 pages or so in which our intrepid heroes go to great lengths to, er, save themselves a bit of hassle. Maybe this was development of a theme I didn’t pick up on, it’s certainly incongruous.

As an aside, I did learn an awful lot about archery from this book. Apparently the key is to keep your left arm as still as a statue and to release the bow fluidly, and the hardest trick is to keep the string taut for an extended period.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home