Wrapped Up In Books

My musings on what I've read since January 2006.

Monday, October 19, 2009

Shepperton Babylon - Matthew Sweet

This idiosyncratic history of British cinema is a bit of a mess and a somewhat frustrating read, but I learned a lot about some of the less remembered byways of the story such as the silent era and the intriguing sexploitation movies of the 1970s.

The book veers between elegaic whimsy and scandal-mongering which often jars, although I suppose both have their place. The writing is at its best when most impassioned, as in his assessment of the radicalism of the great Ealing comedies. Any book that makes me want to track down a copy of naturist classic "Naked - As Nature Intended" must be worth a look.

Also - best title ever?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home