Wrapped Up In Books

My musings on what I've read since January 2006.

Monday, February 25, 2008

Fireworks - Angela Carter

I read heaps of Carter back in my undergrad days, and it was a pleasure to return to her imaginative short stories and richly expressive language. The tales are mainly set in exotic locales, and carter makes Tokyo and London as otherworldly as her completely imaginary settings. Similarly, her characters bear little relation to people in the "real world", but their stories are nevertheless capable of moving the reader.

I was reading this book in a lift at MPOW, and a bloke started telling me how he got to know Carter in Japan in the 1980s. He told some pretty funny stories about her, but sadly they are too raunchy to relate in a family blog such as this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home