Wrapped Up In Books

My musings on what I've read since January 2006.

Sunday, August 19, 2007

Scorsese on Scorsese - David Thompson and Ian Christie (eds.)

Since the death of Kubrick, Scorsese can reasonably be considered the main man of American cinema. There are some great insights on offer here, particularly on some of the influences such as Michael Powell or Italian neo-realism. Unfortunately my edition winds up with the awful The Last Temptation of Christ - I'll have a look at a later version when I can get one.

Edit: Just finished the latest edition, which takes us up as far as Gangs of New York. Lots more good stuff, which made me want to rewatch Bringing Out The Dead (for some visual effects) and Goodfellas (for the influence of the French New Wave).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home