Wrapped Up In Books

My musings on what I've read since January 2006.

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

The Secret Agent - Joseph Conrad

It was written a hundred years ago, but what could be more relevant than an account of a terrorist sleeper cell in London? This is regarded as the first espionage novel, and certain themes that are now considered clichés can be said to have originated here, such as the symbiotic relationship between the criminal and the investigator.

Intriguingly, the plot eventually boils down to that of a domestic tragedy, wherein individual motivations are far more important than the political context.

I would feel far safer if I knew that our current leaders had read this and learned from its insights. I was particularly struck by this speech by one of the anarchists:

To break up the superstition and worship of legality should be our aim. Nothing would please me more than to see Inspector Heat and his likes take to shooting us down in broad daylight with the approval of the public. Half our battle would be won then; the disintegration of the old morality would have set in in its very temple.

Quite.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home