Wrapped Up In Books

My musings on what I've read since January 2006.

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Right Ho, Jeeves – P.G.Wodehouse

Michelle kept rolling her eyes at me as I sat sniggering at this last night, deliciously entertaining stuff.

There is a stigma attached to Wodehouse these days because of his wartime activities, but if George Orwell forgave him then that's good enough for me. The most anti-semitic book I've read recently? Little Dorrit, by that great humanist, Dickens.

I read this in an omnibus edition, in which Penguin had bafflingly printed the stories out of chronological sequence. This meant that you see Gussie Fink-Nottle happily married off to the Bassett at the end of one tale, only to have them meeting for the first time at the start of the next. Why on earth would they do this? Gah!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home