Wrapped Up In Books

My musings on what I've read since January 2006.

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card

This is a book about a hero called Ender Wiggin being trained to fight aliens called buggers. Sounds to me like something Bart Simpson would make up. The nomenclature is a shame, because it’s an above average science fiction tale with some interesting ideas.

I like the fact that the characters are supposed to be young children but behave like adults, giving the whole thing a creepy undercurrent. Perhaps the most impressive thing, though, is the accuracy of some of the predictions given that the book was published in the 70s. The computer game that Ender plays in like something on a PlayStation, and the depiction of the media on “the net”(!) sounds amazingly like the modern blogosphere. It’s very impressive.

Will I read the rest of the series? Maybe not, but I’m glad I’ve read this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home